Friday, November 6, 2009

Fort Hood & my Grandmother

Yesterday I was sitting here eating my leftover pho, and looking forward to going to SYTYCD with Em.

My neighbor, also Army (we live next to AF, Army, Navy, officers, and enlisted), came banging on my door to tell me to turn on the news.

My stomach dropped, and I couldn't even believe it.  After 6 1/2 years of living there the last time, and we were also stationed there when we started this Army trip, Fort Hood will always hold a special place in our heart.

I talked to friends.  I scoured the internet.  I was glued to the tv.  (BTW, kudos to Fox News)  My cell was going crazy with texts from the outlaws, friends, and fellow teachers.  I watched the president give "shout-outs" to his friends, and was digusted with his speech. 

My heart breaks when I think of the Soldiers and civilians that were killed and injured.  I never worried when I sent Gunner to the SRP to prepare to deploy.  I'm sure none of those families did either.  How can someone that is trained to help people, hurt them?  Obviously as they investigate everything they are coming up with all kinds of red flags.  It reminds me of a story of when Gunner was in Bosnia for a year.  One of the Soldiers was upset that he had to be there, wanted out, and wanted to go home.  He proceeded to write the CO's, XO's, and other Soldiers names on each bullet.  They pulled him from duty for 24 hours, and then he was back.  Nothing happened, he served his time, and then got out.  You never know....

I finally tore myself away from the tv, and Em and I left for SYTYCD.  My brother called to let me know that my Grandmother had passed away.



It had been coming for a while, but following the events of the day, it drained me even more.  

Em and I had a good time at SYTYCD and I managed to only check email and FB a few times to make sure I wasn't missing anything. 

It took me an hour to decompress when I finally got home and tucked Em into bed. 

It was a day of tragedy, sadness, and loss both in my own family and my Army family. 

14 comments:

Ellen said...

I am so glad that you and your family are here and not there, I just can't even wrap my mind around what happened.

And I am so sorry to hear about your Grandma :(

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about your Grandma. :( It is tough to lose a grandparent.

The President speech, I couldn't believe it! Then they were replaying it and I just used that time to get up from the tv to do stuff that needed to be done. gag me!

Julie Danielle said...

So sorry about your grandmother :( It is so sad when we loose our family and not on a good day :( Prayers being said for those at Ft.Hood.

Allison said...

I'm sorry about your grandmother.

And I'm glad you and your loves ones are safely there. I wonder what will happen here now.

Old Cowboy Dan said...

The family stands with y'all.

Remember to thank any Veterans and members of our Armed Forces this Veterans Day, November 11.

They provide the security blanket that we all live under 24/7.

The Mrs. said...

Even though you guys arent at hood anymore you were in my thoughts all day yesterday. Despite being kinda big the military is still a small world.

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother, you guys will be in my thoughts.

The Mrs. in Stilettos said...

I am so sorry about your loss. I just started following you recently. What happened at Ft Hood is so hard to swallow. That was our first home and we still consider it home even though we aren't currently stationed there. I felt the same way when Obama did that... I was screaming at the TV.

bugginbri said...

I immediately thought of you when I heard about Ft. Hood. Its so scary!

I'm sorry about your grandmother :(

bugginbri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

What an emotional day, I will be praying for your family as well as the families of Ft. Hood.

jlc said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandma! What an overall bad day it was....... I'm just thankful Sam wasn't on base that day.


God Bless our Boys... (even when they're home!) :-\

CJ said...

You and your family, both families, have been in my thoughts and prayers since yesterday. Yesterday was because I knew how difficult the events would be on you and now, the loss of your grandmother adds to it.

Strength, peace, and courage to all of you.

cjh

Queenie Jeannie said...

Hugs hon! I'm very sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I can imagine Thursday was really tough on you especially!

I'm just still in shock about Fort Hood. For me, it's like 9/11 all over again.

Hang tough and talk, talk, talk about your feelings!

Erin said...

Dude, I'm sorry.