Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I love my daughter

My mom called this morning and was reluctant to take Abs to acting camp. Apparently she had not been listening all morning. To her defense she is ADHD and did not have her medication yet. My mom thinks it is better to pull her out and let her try again next year. I feel that if she doesn't make it this year, I won't try again next year. There is always such a stigma attached to a child that has ADHD and I don't want her to be labeled as a troublemaker.



One thing I really hate is when Abs acts up and the first thing out of someones mouth is "Did she take her medicine today, because it sure doesn't seem like it." I hate that she even has to take medicine and I try not to give it to her over the summer. I hate when people assume she hasn't had it and that is why she is behaving the way she is. I hate that people are so quick to pass her off as being difficult and are unwilling to keep her or spend time with her because she is such a handful. Seems like everyone would rather take the easiest way out and just not have anything else to do with her. I love her with all of my heart and to think that someone doesn't appreciate every bit of her crushes me. Yes, she can be difficult and frustrating. Yes, she has given me gray hairs on more than one occasion. But, I would not trade anything about her and I wish that other people would see that and love her for who she is. So I have decided that I will just keep Abbie close and love her and not put her in situations where people think she is "trouble". I don't want her growing up with a complex about all of this. And to those who miss out on being a part of her life, I feel sorry for you, you have no idea what an incredible child she is.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau

"On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good and not quite all the time." --George Orwell

1 comment:

Just Me said...

You know - I understand this more deeply than most. I am right there with you, sistah! The more deeply we love, the more deeply we hurt. The more deeply we hurt, the more deeply we can love. You are a great mom and Abs is so lucky to have you!