NASA has provided an opportunity for military families to participate in a multi-day celebration culminating with the Space Shuttle launch. We are pleased DoD has reached out to the National Military Family Association to help share this incredible opportunity with military families.
Considerations for participation:
· You must be a military family; the opportunity should not be extended to neighbors or friends who are not military families. Space is limited and ID’s will be required.
· Military Families will need to provide their own transportation to Orlando and lodging (if applicable).
· Military Families must take DoD sponsored buses to the Kennedy Space Center and Causeway on Launch Day (no POVs will be authorized)
· The events planned are focused on school-age children, and at least one activity has an age restriction of 12 years or older.
· Launch day will be a long, but exciting and engaging day! The buses are not expected to return to Orlando until 12AM-2AM. The launch is scheduled for 7:48 PM EDT.
Monday, April 18 --L-1/One Day Before Launch there will be an afternoon of space related hands-on activities and demonstrations at the Orlando Peabody Hotel hosted by NASA education specialists;
Tuesday, April 19 --L-0/Launch Day –a special treat with military astronauts and spouses at the Peabody as they discuss with families ‘TDY to Space’ and then get families moving with ‘Train Like An Astronaut’ fitness challenge. A mission overview on STS-134 shall be given and then families will board DoD sponsored buses for transportation to Kennedy Space Center and its Causeway. Military Families will have the opportunity to participate in a special LEGO: Build the Future event on the Causeway in advance of the launch.
Further details and an application to register for NASA’s Special Event to Celebrate and Honor Military Families is available at http://www.
The registration will close on April 1st or until allocated spaces are filled.
I would do this in a heartbeat! If you do participate, please let me know how it goes!!