Friday, August 3, 2007

17 children?

I'm sure most everyone has heard of the Duggar's, the family that just welcomed their 17th child into the family. Maybe I am different from everyone else, but why have so many kids? I guess I just feel sorry for the kids. The parents are so proud of how the older ones take care of the younger ones and raise them, but why should the older children be penalized? Of course they (the children) all love it because they don't know any different, but I did have a childhood and goodness knows I didn't want or need the responsibility of taking care of anyone but myself at that age. I just think they need to be kids. If the parents want to have all 17 and raise all of them and parent all of them , that's great! I don't expect my 9 year old to bathe my 13 month old or dress him, change his diapers, or get him to sleep at night. (I believe the mother has full charge of the child until age 2 and then she passes it on to another)

Who knows, maybe I am the weird one, but I'm glad I had a childhood!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm of the opinion that 17 biological children (and open to having more!) is ridiculous since there are so many children waiting for adoption or foster families. Don't get me started on the older ones taking care of the younger ones...

The Teacup Cottage said...

As the fourth of 12 I agree with you. Growing up I felt we were being punished for something. On top of it we lived on a ranch and were homeschooled ... without TVs or radios. I feel so pressured by my friends to have children, but I'm enjoying life being able to do stuff spontaneously. All of my siblings think I am wrong and I have been ignored for the last few years because of it.

Anonymous said...

Why did you choose to give up your responsibility as the parent, caregiver, guardian and teacher of your child to someone else when they turned two? At that age can your child protect itself and discern that what they are being taught is true or just someonelses opinion? If you didn't want to raise your own child, why did you have one?

ABW said...

Joy--

I am not talking about me or my family, I am talking about the lady Michelle Duggar who just gave birth to her 17th child and wants more. I have three children and take care of them and have been there every step of the way. I am not about to hand the care of my child over to anyone.

I believe that they shouldn't be taken care of soemone else which was my point in bringing up this lady who does take care of them till age 2 and then turns them over to one of her other children to take care of them. It's wrong I tell ya!

ABW

Marine Wife said...

I'm with you in feeling sorry for the kids. Yes, there are kids who need to be adopted or fostered. But there is also a planet badly in need of TLC and if everyone had families that big... I don't think it's a good idea from an ecological viewpoint. It seems very selfish.