Friday, August 3, 2007

Operation Camp Purple

Today we picked Em up from Camp Purple. We paid the extra money and my mom and I went to have lunch with her before the ceremony. We waited patiently while the dorms before her got to eat and then we got in line with her. She had made a new friend who was just as sweet as could be. The food was even good too! Em and her new friend filled us in on everything that they had been doing over the last week. My baby is growing up!

There were many activities that the kids did each day--riflery, rock climbing, swimming, canoeing, community service, environment, drug and alcohol awareness and tons more.

Riflery??? I was shocked! My baby with a gun? It was just a pellet gun and they learned gun safety as well, and she loved it! She made new friends, learned new skills and had the time of her life.

For the ceremony they had all the parents seated and then they had the children march in. We watched them pass out thank yous to the counselors and staff involved in putting this together. Yea NMFA!!!

When all of that was done they had the campers come up one by one where they presented them with a certificate and a picture of all the staff and campers in a nice mouse pad type frame that said "Kids serve too". After each camper received their items they went in front of a microphone and said their name, which parent was in the service, what branch and where they were stationed. After the first two children said "Iraq" I was in tears. My mom wasn't much better as she was crying too. I finally got a little better until a little boy got up there and said his name and something to the effect of my father is protecting us, providing for our freedom, and a few other things. I wish I could remember his exact words because it was pretty powerful coming from a 9 year old little boy. I started crying all over again. What a mess I am!

We made it through the rest of the ceremony, attended a flag ceremony and then got all of Em's items and hit the road. She had tons of stories to tell and about half an hour into the trip she was passed out from exhaustion.

So from our family to NMFA, the Dell Foundation, the Sierra Group and all other people and sponsors that made this camp possible, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. My daughter had the time of her life and for her to be in an environment with other children that understood where she was coming from and were walking in her shoes, the experience was priceless.

For those of you who have children, keep an eye out in your area next summer for these camps as they are entirely free and a great camping experience for your children.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Camp friends are the best ;) Did Em get her contact information to stay in touch?

P