Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Thank goodness for small children...


So tonight we come home from swim lessons, eat dinner, and then I put Junior to bed. Then the sirens started going off several times. I went outside and discussed with my neighbors what we should be inside doing.

I went back inside, got Em out of the shower, cleaned out the linen closet and explained to the girls our plan. I put the girls in the linen closet and Em and I decided that there was enough room with her to put Junior there, since that would be the safest place for him. I planned to go to the front closet. The alarms went silent.

I left Junior asleep in his crib and then the girls wanted to sleep in the closet all night. I got them back in bed, and they are now fast asleep.

My mom is holed up in her bathroom. My sister has her laundry room filled with sleeping bags, candles and flashlights.

Why is it that I can't find our lantern, the wind up flashlight or any of the other flashlights when I need them? That's what I get for putting them somewhere "safe" after finding the kids with them--reading when they should have been sleeping!

5 comments:

Old Cowboy Dan said...

I have been checking y'all's weather all evening and am happy that all is well.

JBBGirl said...

Hopefully it will be nice and calm for you all. LOL! My kids would have wanted to sleep in the closet too! HA! I love it!

The Mrs. said...

you know when i first saw the pics i thought oh her kids like to hang out in cabinets too. now i know it was for the weather im back to thinking my kids are weird. oh well. i already suspected it!

hope you get some better weather soon.

Anonymous said...

My side of Houston got it last night. w/o power from 3-5:30am. I had already dug out the "wind-up LED lantern" and was debating if I was going to attempt make-up by latern or not. And then we had lights!!!!!! Kids knew nothing of it.

Erin said...

Dang, I was outside smoking - enjoying the wind and the rain. Should I have been more concerned? :)