Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The nurse called

I am going to stop answering the phone during the school day when it says unknown, because chances are that it is the nurse at Ab's school.

Me: Hello?
Nurse: Hi, is this Ab's mom?
Me: Yes. What's wrong?
Nurse: Well Abs tripped over a desk in music and hurt her back.
Me: Are there any marks?
Nurse: A big red one
Me: Where?
Nurse: Lower back (and she gave me a number, I guess which is supposed to mean something to this non nurse person)
Me: Did you put ice on it?
Nurse: Yes, she's almost in tears from the pain.
Me: Is there swelling?
Nurse: There is a bruise already. Can you please come take a look at it?
Me: Ummmm.....I'm a teacher, so I am kind of stuck here unless you think it is a dire emergency.
Nurse: Well.....
Me: Call her dad at this number xxx-xxxx.
Nurse: Okay

I get off the phone and my 22 second graders ask if we can take a trip to meet the nurse at Ab's school. Doesn't that sound like loads of fun?

So Gunner was coming up to school so that he could help me out with some paperwork, putting together books, taking things home, etc. I texted him and he told me he was on his way and would check on Abs since the nurse just called.

About 10 minutes later Gunner walks through the door.

Me: Is Abs okay?
Gunner: Of course.
Me: Is there a red mark?
Gunner: No
Me: Bruising?
Gunner: The bruising she thinks she sees is where Em put that tattoo on her back and it hasn't worn off yet.
Me: Was Abs crying?
Gunner: Nope. They gave her a pain scale of 1-5 and Abs said it was a 4. They didn't realize that Abs thought the pain scale should be from 1-20 and had chosen the 4 based on the new and improved pain scale ala Abs.

Apparently the nurse didn't know what to think, but the not even sad Abs went off to class with her ice pack.

We're having pizza tonight, minus the pepperoni. Don't want Ab's life to be in jeopardy or anything.

I can't make it to the gym tonight due to other commitments, but I do plan on working on some strength training and core exercises here at the house. That's almost a guarantee to be more sore tomorrow than if I had gone to the gym!

6 comments:

Cassandra said...

Hahah! I love the "abs" stories :D

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Haha, wow! You get daily calls from this nurse. It sounds like she has you on speed dial! I'm glad everything is ok though....and good thing you're sticking away from those pepperonis lol

The Mrs. said...

hilarious! I have a feeling I'm going to be getting those calls in a few years...

Nikki said...

I love the Abs stories but is is wrong for me to say that as a PEDS nurse I just want to punch that woman in her face???

TJ said...

Aww lol isnt it nice to have hubby home now though to help take those calls and parent duty?! :)

jessica said...

that's a wonderful story. i'm also a non-pepperoni pizza lover!