Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday's Musings

To follow along with Em's adventures in Japan, read here.  Heated toilet seats?  I don't think I have ever seen one.  My 13 year old daughter has it good, really good.

Here is Em at the beginning of the journey.


Here is Em as of yesterday.

Which finally led to this...

It sounds like it could be what happened at Disneyworld this summer, a torn meniscus.  That took a while to heal, and I wish she wasn't in pain while she was so far away.

After a busy day of crossfit, OT, and making dinner, I learned the number to poison control.

I told Andrew it was time for his medicine (benadryl for his itching with the eczema), and he went to the kitchen to wait.  I ALWAYS put the medicine up.  Always.

I'm just thankful it was the benadryl I left out and not anything else.

I ran a towel up to Abs in the tub, then ran back downstairs to give him his medicine.  I started looking for it in the cabinet way above the sink, and he said it was in the trash.

Me:  Why is it in the trash?
Jr.  Because it was empty.
Me:  It wasn't empty, there was still some left.
Jr:  I finished it.
Me:  (starting to panic and cursing child proof caps that aren't childproof)  What do you mean finished it.
Jr:  I was helping.  I poured my own medicine.
Me:  How much did you take.
Jr.  One cup.
Me:  Which cup?

He pointed to a medicine cup.

I ran to the internet, googled poison control, and called.  The nurse was so nice and didn't make me feel bad while I was sitting there crying to her.  She asked for his weight and the type of medicine, and the concentration before she told me that it would have taken 15 tsp to be toxic.  There was no way there was that much in there.

By the time I got off, Junior was crying.  "I was just trying to help mommy, I'm so sorry".

Stories and a big hug and kiss seemed to make it all better, but don't think he wasn't passed out in less than 5 minutes when he got to bed.

Another busy day tomorrow, but I am hoping it is a little less stressful!

9 comments:

McMGrad89 said...

Thanks God! Be also thankful that he isn't one of those kids that have reverse reactions to Benadryl where they get more active instead of more sleepy.

No matter how diligent we are, accidents happen. You can't beat yourself up about them.

Thinking of you,
Annemarie

DB said...

Maybe you up his benadryl dosage? For Abs too?

Samantha said...

At least he'll sleep well.

Battles on the Homefront said...

I drank an entire bottle of Dimetap when I was 3 while my (much older)brother was babysitting me. I climbed the cabinets to get it down because it tasted good. He panicked, my parents called the Dr and he said I would just be sleepy. I slept for about 30 hours and then was perfectly fine.

I'm glad he is fine. He is definitely not the first kid to do something like that.

"Gypsy at Heart" said...

Surely you have not forgotten that you climbed up to reach a jar of baby aspirin on the top shelf in the kitchen. You said you had gotten hungry. Had your stomach pumped.

"Gypsy at Heart" said...

I have been carrying her bags, serving her breakfast,etc., ....she sure does have a cool grandma!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness!! Poor Andrew, I'm so glad he is okay!

I hope Em heals super quick.. btw I just noticed how tall she is! wow!

Radiant Readhead said...

Hey! Sorry I have been MIA, but I promise I have been keeping up with your blogs:-) I wanted to drop by and give you a blog award. hop over to my blog page here: http://journeyoflifeandluv.blogspot.com/2010/11/blog-awards.html
and claim it and have a good day:-)
~Erin

CJ said...

Hey, Gypsy - I sure wish I would've had a grandma like Em's! I hope you guys have a great time, in spite of the crutches.

As for Andrew... such a little sweetie. I'm glad it was nothing major.

cjh