Wednesday, November 17, 2010

War Shamoor

I think one of the hardest things about being a military spouse is not hearing from your Soldier.

I was miserable about a week, but not about to complain since it had been a month for a friend.

How long do you go?  When the war first started, the first 6 months, we had 3 ten minute phone conversations during that time.  That was hard.

While I will never complain about not hearing from him too loudly, I still miss him terribly.

Gunner's facebook status tonight.....

Gunner "is just thinking of home".

Sometimes I like to pretend that I have it harder.  I don't get packages, bills are all that come in the mail, and seriously, I have the three kids.  There's crossfit, cooking, cleaning, laundry, appointments, schoolwork, potty training, changing diapers because someone refuses to potty train, and  a million other things.

On the other hand, while I deal with snow, crazy drivers, walking the dog in the cold, and doing mountains of laundry.......I am not going through what he is, or even close.  But, cause there's always a but.....he loves his job.  (Mine's not so bad either of course, but Junior potty training would make my job much, much, much, much better)

While no one likes to be deployed, how many of your husbands love what they do?

He keeps telling me that one day he will have to grow up and quit playing GI Joe.  Heck, every Halloween he was a Soldier when he was growing up.  So what he once pretended, he has been living for the last 23 years.

But soon it will end.

In the meantime, if the war could slow down every once in a while to let me GI Joe call, I would really appreciate it...

What's the hardest part of deployment for you?

8 comments:

Stacy said...

My fiance loves his job, for the most part. He currently is deployed and that's his favorite part of being a soldier. When he PCS'd to his current duty station, he was disappointed to learn that they most likely weren't going to deploy. That changed though (surprise, surprise) and he's now deployed. He would volunteer for deployments if he had the chance. Keep your chin up. You're doing a great job :)

Renee said...

I think, for me, the hardest part of deployment has been NOT being able to pick up the phone and call (or text) my husband when I have something to tell him or a question I need answered. It's also hard when the kids are grown and gone and and I am sitting down to dinner for one. :o(

Hang in there - we are all getting through this together!

Elegantly Anon said...

Not knowing when he will come back and if he is okay. Its so hard I worry so much about him. He always tries to prepare me of the possibility that he will not come home, its heartbreaking to think about.

Lindy said...

My husband used to love his job, but now I think he's had enough. He volunteered for his last deployment in 05, but this one he didn't want to be on. The hardest part for me is wondering if he's okay and constantly being worried that he's not. Also, not being able to talk to him. Lets just say the whole darn thing is hard...

Susan Payton said...

Blogging around this evening and found your blog. I love reading all the different blogs. They all have something different to offer. My husband is 20 years retired Air Force. Thank you for letting me visit.
http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com
http://susan-livinghealthywithchallenges.blogspot.com
http://joininandgogreen.blogspot.com

naila said...

thank you for this post. were going through our first deployment and he didnt take a laptop. he said, he had too much stuff to pack.
i know so many others are on the same boat ride im taking now and im sincerely grateful for all these wonderful wives and husbands that do what they do so i can walk to dog and feed the cats and shop with the friends and drink coffee with school mates. do all those things on my time while he has one major focus on his.
no such gratitude exists.

Lisa said...

One of the things I love most about P is how much he truly loves his job. No matter how frustrating it gets (and we all know how frustrating it can be!), he loves being a solider and wouldn't give up his career for anything. He truly cares about his soldiers and the units that he works for.

Anyway, the hardest part about our deployment was just the uncertainty. I'd never been through anything like that before, and I didn't know what to expect. We were very lucky that we got to talk to each other over Skype and exchange emails. But I know our next deployment won't be that easy.

From the wandering mind of D said...

the lonely nights are the hardest. you lay there and want to vent or just talk or just lay there with someone. you reach out and they aren't there... it's quiet, no noise, nothing... and suddenly you just realize just how much it hurts to not have them there. then just to get to sleep? i don't know what's worse falling asleep to a lonely bed or knowing you have to do it all over again the next day and pretend it doesn't hurt just a little bit... that's the hardest it gets for me. but he loves his job. he was made for this and he's happy and he's good at what he does. so i go through this because i love him and in a strange way... i was made for this lifestyle.. because well lets face it. we are a different breed of women.