Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Retirement

There are a lot of reasons that our retirement is different from a lot of other people's.  

We still have a 4 year old.

I went to a Pampered Chef party the other day, and all the women who had husbands that were about to retire...had grown children off at college.

Can you imagine?  We would have had to jump on the breeding bandwagon right away after we were married!  I was in no way ready, and when I finally did get pregnant the nurse was shocked that I was having my first at age 25.  Did she think I needed to be welcoming grandchildren?  

So while so many people look at retirement from the military as a time to breathe for a little while....there's no doing that here!  Our oldest is only 13....I say "only", but then I think in 9 years she would be the age that I was when I got married!  Why did my parents let me get married so young???  (I had finished my undergrad at least.)

Gunner has hit the job market full force.  Today he spent the day taking classes put on by business leaders in the community with a special interest in hiring Vets.  We put together a resume, and he has a local job fair tomorrow, then another one on Wednesday.  He.needs.a.job.

Anyone want to hire an Army Vet with over 22 years of military service?  He's dedicated, smart, hard-working, and an all around good guy (cute too!).  We'll even move anywhere in the world, and I am the most non-complaining (unless my house floods) wife, of all times!

Surely something will workout....right????

In the meantime, the kids continue to keep us on our toes.  Junior needs surgery and it could totally explain why he wasn't potty trained until recently...and he's almost five.  Abs has turned into quite the violinist.  We have been through the ringer with her this year, but we are finally making headway.  Finally.  Em is as sweet as ever, and has a love of Shakespeare and sewing that translated into her being the costume designer for the school's performance of A Misummer's Night Dream.  I had never read the story before--although I probably crammed the cliff notes the night before the test--so it was nice to sit back and enjoy it.  I can't believe that next year I will have an 8th grader, a 5th grader, and a Kindergartener!  (Ummmmm.....when Abs entered Kindergarten, Junior entered the picture.  I PROMISE you, that will not happen this time!!!!!)

So as life continues to change at a moment's notice, I look at retirement as not the end, but a brand new beginning of all that is to come!  I'm only hoping that someone has a plan for us and it is put into place before our last Army paycheck arrives.  If not, look for us under your local bridge!  (Don't worry, we have started an "under the bridge" fund!)

11 comments:

Kara said...

You aren't the only one! Hubby just hit 15 years. We have a 2 and a 5 year old. The kids will still be relatively young if he gets out at 20. So many young couples in the military have kids right away. We didn't and I like it better that way.

Erin said...

I know things will work out for your family. Although, that's not to say that I wouldn't be stressing, too. I am sure it will be a huge transition, but it is an exciting time and promises a whole new set of adventures!

Unknown said...

I hate to comment on something off topic, but you seem to have a lot of experience with the Army Life. My husband and I just got our first Overseas PCS orders, and I have a few questions myself. When you get the chance, could you check out my most recent post? I would appreciate any and all help!

http://armywife021010.blogspot.com/

Mel said...

You guys can totally make it! The job market isn't as dreary as it seems and he has a LOT of marketable skills that will make him successful. Plus, you have an education and work experience yourself.

You've given so much of yourselves and your lives to this country, it's time the country gives back to you.

Good luck, lady. Hopefully you'll still be in CO when I get there in Feb.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

He's going to get a job, I just know it! He has way too much experience not to get something!

Briana Rose said...

Hi! I recently moved to AL from CO--the place my husband and I are from. I'm not sure if you are interested in any jobs in Colorado, but depending on what your husband would be interested in, my father is the VP of HR for a large Telecom company in Colorado. If that is at all an interest, feel free to email me at stafford.briana@gmail.com and I can give you his email to have your husband apply and send my dad his resume. He would be able to flag and pull his resume and make sure it gets into the right hands. If not, no worries, just thought I would throw it out there! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Aww, I wish you and your family the best!! Congratulations on his retirement and thank you to your husband for serving our country!!!! Just keep the faith alive on looking for a good job. I'm sure you all will find something great!

The BellaCasa Blog said...

I remember, like it was yesterday ...facing military retirement, job searching, concerns of where to settle...all very new and a bit frightening, only because it was all so foreign to me. It is hard to imagine that all things will work out until you have actually lived through it, but think positive thoughts and you will attract a postive outcome.

Jan @ BellaCasa

Sarah said...

That's funny that you seemed old having your first at 25. My first didn't arrive until I was 32...I was the oldest mommy in playgroup by 10 years at times. There was never another mom born in the 70's as long as I attended...heh.

Ours will also probably be 12 when my husband retires.

vmedina said...

I'm really liking your blog! i just made a blogsite today but ive been wrting for a little while. im wondering how you made your site so awsome! check out mine, it is pretty low key but i am an army wife also :)
my site is http://Vaughn-medina.webs.comm/

The one with the View said...

I know this is an older post, but life has kept me way from the blogging circut for sometime. I just wanted to say Congrats on the Retirement! Your situation sounds very similar to ours. My husbad has over 20 years in, and we have a 3 year old (we also have a 9 year old). It's hard for me to find my place amongst the wives. I'm a seasoned wife, but I tend to get thrown in with the newbies because of the age of my youngest. People have a heard time believing we could have been retired already. But, when we do finally settle in a few years, we will still only have a middle schooler, and a young elementary student! (I had my first child 2 weeks before my 25th bday too! LOL)I wish your family the best, Thank you for YOUR service, and Thanks to your husband for his.