Thursday, August 9, 2007

Korean War Memorial




While in DC (I finally got the pictures on my computer) we managed to see almost everything that we set out to see and more. With 4 children in tow we thought that it would be harder, but fortunately they turned out to be good traveling companions as long as we fed them quite frequently.

One of the Memorials that I really liked was the Korean War Memorial. I had not heard anything about this one and was not sure what to expect. The statues of the soldiers that were made to represent every walk of life were huge. The wall had etched into it faces of those that were KIA, MIA or POW's. There is so much symbolism in the memorial as to be expected, from the 38 statues representing the 38th parallel, to the 38 months that were spent fighting the Korean War. I think what affected me the most was the way that the statues reflected in the wall and looked like ghosts.

"OUR NATION HONORS HER SONS AND DAUGHTERS WHO ANSWERED THE CALL TO DEFEND A COUNTRY THEY NEVER KNEW AND A PEOPLE THEY NEVER MET"
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Old Cowboy Dan said...

That's one I wouldn't want to visit, there are many people that fought in VN and I'd rather remember them the way I knew them.

Gypsy at heart said...

All the war memorials were moving, but this one was particularly so.