Saturday, March 31, 2007

Race for the Cure

Today the 5 of us headed out bright and early before the sun came up to particpate in the Race for the Cure. We did the Lace Armstrong Livestrong Challenge last October in memory of my dad (while DH was deployed), but this one was just kind of a spur of the moment type of thing. The group of survivors was inspirational! The youngest was just 20 years old. The oldest had been a survivor for 41 years. Can you imagine? My Grandmother had breast cancer and has one of her breasts removed. This was really before reconstructive surgery, so she always had a pink bean bag type breast she would wear in her bra. I have one friend whose mother is now on her second battle with a different type of breast cancer than she already beat. Another friend's mother is in remission. THe amount of people I know with different types of cancers is scary. DH and I have been trying to work on our eating habits and get into shape. My worst fear is to not take care of my health and leave my children before they are ready. My dad passed away when I was 33, 6 months pregnant and DH was deployed. I was a wreck and still miss him every day...

Anyway, I got a little sidetracked. Make sure to do a breast self exam and tell your parents and children how much you love them and treasure them.....

No comments: