Thursday, March 29, 2007

Appendicitis and Drama Queens

Still waiting on the orders for hubby to go TDY. Hopefully today after lunch he can grab those and give me a little bit of peace of mind.

DQ (Drama Queen), our oldest, got her sleeve caught in the swing at school and they called and told me she needed medical attention. I am sure that was just a CYA statement. Hubby raced up there with her sling and ace bandage and that allowed her to keep the ice pack on and continue with school. The schools will send you home for anything these days. Not that I wouldn't go get my child from school if they needed it, but if she has a headache I don't think she needs the afternoon off. When I was in 8th grade, I was not feeling good one day and my mom was out of town, so my dad sent me to school. I kept going to the nurse complaining of pain and they would send me back to class. I remember my Home Ec teacher taking me there herself after I lay on the floor complaining while we were supposed to be eating our spaghetti. The nurse sent me back to class. Finally I started throwing up in Earth Science during the middle of a test. A friend got up to get me a paper towel and she got in trouble, and I ran out of the room. My teacher followed and told me to go to the nurse. Instead I went to lunch, where the nurse found me sitting with my friends doubled over in pain. I had been telling her for hours I was sick!

Anyway, I didn't have the number to my dad's office, so I had them call another school to get the phone number of his old secretary. She came and got me, then my dad showed up and took me home. He dropped me off at the house and then went back to work. I was dying!!! My mom eventually came home and told me if I was sick I needed to be in bed, not on her couch throwing up. I dragged myself to bed and then went to sleep for the night. The next day they got me up and told me to go to school. I refused as I was in more pain. They told me I would have to stay in bed and no tv. I agreed, and then I guess my mom felt bad and brought a little tv upstairs for me, and then everyone left. I managed to crawl to the bathroom once, but after that I stayed put. Later that evening after my mom took my sister to gymnastics, she returned home and did the rebound test, and then my mom and dad rushed me to the ER. I remember arriving there at 10:30 and being in surgery by 2:30. I had a ruptured appendix. I was in the hospital for a week, and my mom and dad were there every day with presents. Apparently having your appendix rupture can be hereditary. My dad and my grandfather both had theirs out at around 13 as well.

So the point of this story is, while I do believe my kids, I also know when they can make it through the rest of the school day. By tonight DQ will be wanting to do cartwheels with that arm.....

No comments: