Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Priceless Gift

I know I have blogged before about my parents and their love of the Triumph car.  They had one when they were married, but you can't exactly cart around 4 children in the back of one safely, so they traded up for bigger (not better!) cars.  When I was in junior high my dad purchased another one and had it restored.  My mom and dad traveled all over the United States attending car shows in their speedy red car and collected tshirts at each event. 

When my dad passed away, we were sorting through his clothes and we came across the pile of tshirts.  We told my mom she should keep them and make a quilt out of them....someday.  When I was calling my mom before she left for The House of Love and Joy, she was madly sewing and wouldn't tell me what it was.  It drove me nuts! 

The four of us unwrapped a priceless gift from my mom this year.



She used all of my dad's tshirts to make the four of us each a quilt.

My brother holding up his.  One of the shirts used in his quilts was one that my dad wore to work on the car all the time, so there are even small spatters of oil on it.



I still miss my dad and think about him every.single.day.  I can't even put into words what this quilt means to me.  Thanks Mom, once again you have given us a priceless gift and I can't thank you enough!


Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Megan said...

That is a fantastic gift! What a wonderful way to remember your father!

Julie Danielle said...

What a great gift! You will always have a part of your dad with you.

kd said...

This made me cry! What a sweet gift!

wifeunit said...

That is so awesome! Totally made me tear up. So great of her to do. Moms rock!

Gypsy at heart said...

Knowing you appreciate it and will be wrapping yourself in hugs each time you use it, is enough.

CJ said...

Wow. How wonderful. I agree that it will be like getting a hug from your dad every time you wrap up in it.

cjh

ABW said...

I was thinking that it also meant I should nap every single day? I had a great nap today under it!

Old Cowboy Dan said...

Didn't they collect many dashboard plaques and awards from various road rally's around the US.

I remember one plaque he gave me some time ago, (can't remember where it is though).

Great memories still remain with those remaining.

Wife of a Sailor said...

That is the best gift I've heard of in a very long time! Very cool.

Vintage Love & Photographs said...

That is soooo sweet! I bet that was very hard for her too :(

Ellen said...

What a beautiful way to remember him!

Rachelle Jones said...

This is awesome!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That's awesome!!! I love it!